- TRIBUTE choreographed by Jakari Sherman
- NDLAMU choreographed by Jackie Semela
- ISICATHULO choreographed by Jackie Semela
- CHICAGO choreographed by Jakari Sherman
SPECIAL NOTE: Audience participation has been a part of the step tradition since its inception in the 1900s. Members of the audience are invited to clap, stomp, cheer and participate in call and response with the Artists.
The first professional dance company in the world dedicated to the tradition of stepping, Step Afrika!'s beat will awaken you! Through movement, theater and music, Step Afrika! invites Orange County audiences not to miss a beat.
One of the top 10 African American dance companies in the world, Step Afrika! blends percussive dance styles practiced by historically African American fraternities and sororities; traditional West and Southern African dances; and an array of contemporary dance and art forms into a cohesive, compelling artistic experience. Performances are much more than dance shows; they integrate songs, storytelling, humor and audience participation. The blend of technique, agility, and pure energy makes each performance unique and leaves the audience with their hearts pounding.
**Please note that tickets for this performance are processed through the Irvine Barclay Theatre's ticketing system.
Step into it! Join us pre-show at 7 pm in the Barclay Theatre lobby for a Distinctive Experience.
- Complimentary light bites of authentic African cuisine prepared by Lynda’s African Delicacies: suya, puff-puffs, meat pies, plantains, and the celebratory drink zobo.
- A pop-up performance of Afro-Fusion/Afrobeat dances by UC Irvine’s West African Dance Group (WADG).
With your spirits lifted and palate inspired, the high energy of this evening will be one to remember.
...the most energetic performance I have ever seen and that energy is contagious.City Living Boston
Part of the Eclectic Orange Series
sponsored by the Jelinek Family Trust